Final Nashville 4 – Dallas 2
1st Period –
8:49 Alex Goligoski (13) (Power Play) Dallas 1 – Nashville 0
Assists: Loui Eriksson, Mike Ribeiro
14:26 David Legwand (16) Dallas 1 – Nashville 1
Assists: Martin Erat, Shea Weber
2:33 Mike Fisher (16) Dallas 1 – Nashville 2
Assists: Patric Hornqvist, Sergei Kostitsyn
4:07 Brenden Morrow (28) Dallas 2 – Nashville 2
Assists: Jamie Benn, Mike Ribeiro
9:57 Mike Fisher (17) Dallas 2 – Nashville 3
Assists: Ryan Suter, Patric Hornqvist
19:56 David Legwand (17) (SH) (Empty Net) Dallas 2 – Nashville 4
Ouch, that’s all I can say after this game. The Stars were inexcusably sloppy against Nashville and it’s most likely cost them a playoff spot now. Dallas finally came out strong to start the game and, lo and behold, even scored the first goal. Unfortunately, they forgot to play solid fundamental hockey for much of the next two and a half periods.
Dallas had 10 giveaways this game and Nashville was officially credited with 22 takeaways, 22!. That’s the most by an opponent this season; the second most was 17 takeaways by the New York Islanders in the second game of the season. Given the fact that Dallas opponents have averaged less than 10 takeaways for the past month, this was a huge lapse in concentration for the Stars.
Dallas was just outhustled and outmuscled to the puck while it was in their own zone and it led to turnovers. In fact, the first three Nashville goals were caused by bad turnovers from Stars players. With the chances that Nashville had, they could’ve easily scored 5+ goals. It’s unbelievable that they can have a game like this after the letdown that happened against Anaheim.
Dallas missed a big opportunity today because it seemed like Nashville goalie Pekka Rinne wasn’t as sharp as he usually is. There were some big rebounds (though it was happening on both sides) and he let in a really flukey second goal when the puck richoceted off a stick, then off the back of his head into the net. Dallas absolutely have to, HAVE TO, win their next game at Phoenix or else you can stick a fork in these guys.
- Alex Goligoski played 31:54 minutes of ice time tonight, the most regulation minutes he’s played in his NHL career. His most ever was a triple OT playoff game in 2010-2011 season when he played 33:03.
- Mike Ribeiro had a really good offensive game today, more than the box score shows. He was all over the ice and made great passes. He was always a danger in the offensive zone and was able to keep the puck on his stick, avoiding alot of poke checks.
- Nashville won 33 faceoffs to Dallas’ 25. It’s the first time in the season series that Nashville has won the faceoff battle.
- Jeff Woywitka has an awful attempt at a clearance (at least it think he was trying to clear) that led to a Nashville goal. He picked up the puck by the boards and lazily threw it out without looking. It was tipped and eventually found its wayt to Mike Fisher for the goal that ended up being the game winner.
- Anaheim beat Chicago 2-1 so they jump up to 7th place with 89 points. Chicago falls to 8th with 88 points. Dallas falls to 10th place at 86 points and sits 1 point behind Calgary, who beat Edmonton.